Tuesday, December 15, 2015

Life Lately, Volume 4

"I used to think the years would go by in order, that you get older one year at a time. But it's not like that. It happens overnight." - Haruki Murakami

   

The first semester has finally passed, and I'm still kinda free as heck to do what I want. I've made it a point during my semestral break to do some meditation on how my life is going and what steps I plan on taking next. To be honest, the break already came to a close, and I've only done so much as win back all the sleep I lost during hell week.
 

But for now, here's what I've been up to all the while I've been busy at school (and life).




Vincent, Nyanners and I went to Cosmania earlier this October. I thought of blogging about the entire thing, but I didn't have much content to share, as I felt that this year's Cosmania wasn't as big and as grand as last year's, and I didn't have much of a haul to share. What we did do though was gatecrash Kang's meet-and-greet, met up with Kuya Tom and just... Chilled. The entire thing made me realize that I'm getting too old for conventions, Vincent even more, and that we've gotta focus on more important things, such as saving up and learning how to cook. 


Oshi celebrated his 20th birthday with us and we just chilled as well. We seriously have more fun that four people can't handle. We took a swim, ate pizza, pancit canton, cake, and this delectable gelatin delight called a cathedral window. What can I say? Four's a party.

 

The four of us have stuck together since the start of the school year, and there was that time when Oshi got bullied by some seniors. That ordeal brought us even closer to each other, and we even formed a pact where we'll always have each other's backs. As of today, no bully in their right mind would even lay a hand on Oshi, because they know for a fact that his friends are tenacious, despite their amiable and unassuming faces.

"If traveling was free, you'd never see me again."

I applied for a passport. That was one of the most painstaking and terrifying moments of my life. It doesn't matter how much I prepared for that day because life was bound to jinx me for the terrible person that I am. I almost didn't get through the screening process because my "original" birth certificate was missing the NSO chairman's signature. (I called it my original because that was the only colored certificate that I had, and now it's lost to me forever.) I gathered my friends and told them to pray for me because not passing the screening process would mean the end of the line for my World Youth Day journey. I recall saying that day that there was "power in cuteness", because I flashed my prettiest smile to the evaluator and my documents got approved. Either I'm cute, or the chairman's signature was unnecessary. Either way, I'm blessed I got through. 

  

This finals period has got to be the worst one I've ever conquered, and I only made it barely alive, with a scathing line of 7 in one of my subjects. I pulled two major all-nighters with Nyanners and I even dragged Vincent into the equation. I find it kind of funny though how most of the class find me so reliable with stuff at school, when in reality I'm falling apart on the inside. This semester, I'm assigned as web administrator of our online magazine, ArcherSpeak, which we inherited from the senior class, and layout artist of our community newspaper. Looks like I'm not as free as I thought I was. (Hello, responsibilities.)


Fr. Joel was transferred to a new parish in Cainta , and in turn, Fr. Arnel from Antipolo Hills arrived as our new parish priest. There's no denying the influence and impact Fr. Joel made on my spiritual life. While I couldn't bring myself to believe in my craft, he gave me his full support and encouragement in every project we worked on. He even trusted me so much to make me the PPC Secretary. I knew then that there was some kind of a great mystery behind all of this, that God wants me to be right here, right now.

On his farewell party, I told everyone that I believed that he had a great trust in the parish youth ministry, mainly because he gave such an important task to a young person: I was the secretary, the storyteller. Despite bidding him farewell with tears in my eyes, he told me that there's still much work to be done, and one of his final statements to me was "Get there!" (To Poland) in time for World Youth Day, which I both considered a testimony of his great faith and trust in me.
 

I'm still in the process of adjusting to the new reality of the parish. Just when I thought that I would be rightfully resigned from my duty, turns out I'll be staying a lot longer.
  


These photos were from the DYD Preparatory Session last November 29. Is there something particularly odd about my face that I was featured twice? (??) Photos from the KaDA Facebook page.
 
I'm still in the middle of World Youth Day preparations and formations. I've been falling behind a lot things regarding this, actually, but while I feel like I haven't made progress, I've been assured that I'm actually moving and going somewhere. My sentiments about this wonderful mystery can be read here.
  
  

I modeled for this year's SparX. I didn't receive much encouragement from my parents regarding this matter, mainly because they think that me joining runway shows is just an exhibition of my vanity and immaturity and stuff like that. Here I am, doing something that I've always wanted to do but couldn't, and I'm dismissed with a scoff. Despite not receiving any encouraging words from my parents, they did come to see the show. Vincent and my friends supported my endeavors and couldn't wait to see me onstage (though Vincent missed half of the show and arrived in time for our third ramp). Of course I was a little scared. I've always wanted to model for SparX but I've always lacked the spunk and commitment to include myself on the list of models, and now that I've finally done it, I just had to be my own savior and supporter. Thank God I didn't trip on my heels! 

 


I joined the Lasallian Volunteer Program at school. Our first project, which Sister Helen calls the pre-initiation project, is the school library at Canumay. She said that they've been working on this project for almost three years and that it has to be completed by the end of the year, just in time for its turnover to the school next year.

I thought I needed an outlet of my time and energy, and being a volunteer just might work. Not only will it be an outlet for me, but I'll also be an outlet of the Lord, an extension of His arm, doing His work, sharing His love and mercy.
  
 

I'm still recovering from my adventure last December 8. It was the Solemnity of the Immaculate Concepcion and Antipolo City's fiesta. At first I thought of passing on this grand occasion, I changed my mind in the middle of the day and dragged my friends out on the streets of the city. We went to Joy's place first, then to Oshi's, then to Roxanne's, then to... to be honest, we didn't really know how we ended up at the last house. All I know is that we were walking all over the town and eating to our hearts' content. That night, I fell asleep happy, thinking that friends and great food is one good way of celebrating the end of the year.
 
As for what I'm recovering from... consider all of it flushed down the toilet. *wink wink*
 
Despite the entire year being a big and blurry mess, the end of it is looking bright. If there's one thing I learned from this year, it's that whenever I feel like things are out of my control, I need to keep in mind that I was never in control in the first place. Dear God, He really knows how to turn me around in all of this.
 
Here's to hoping for a better new year. Has life been kind to you? How have you been?

No comments :

Post a Comment