Friday, January 24, 2014

Contesting Faith

"But the Lord said to me, 'Do not say that you are too young, but go to the people I send you to, and tell them everything I command you to say. 8 Do not be afraid of them, for I will be with you to protect you. I, the Lord, have spoken!'" -Jeremiah 1:7-8


Lately, I've been afraid of a lot of things. 

Ah, right...

First off, allow me to say that this post is a result of long and deep and uncharacteristic over-thinking and is not meant to insult or offend anyone or their religion at all. I don't do that. This is all purely my understanding and I'm not basing my thoughts on any facts or what. 

Just pure faith. 

Faith has always been a delicate topic for me. My sensitivity rises to the peak every time discussions about faith are opened. Needless to say, faith is something of incredible importance to me. While it may mean nothing to a percent of the world right now, for others, it means everything. 

Some have boldly told me that if religion didn't exist, there would be no wars at all. Religious wars, religions trying to disprove each other and trying to prove to each other that they have the better "imaginary friend". Religiously speaking, though, the Catholic Church could stand a chance... But personally speaking, that's not how things work. I don't get why people are so hell-bent on proving that they're right. 

There's this thing called "respect" and sometimes it's not just earned, you know. Respect is mandatory. You don't cheat a blind man just because he's blind... Just because he can't see doesn't make him less of a person. Same goes with faith... Just because you don't have one or you believe otherwise... It doesn't give you the right to disrespect it. 

They say that persecution is good. I honestly don't see why. They say that persecution is good because you're doing something right. You're living out your beliefs. I honestly still don't see why. Why don't I see it? Because I believe in respecting other people more than persecuting them because of their beliefs, you know. 

Yes, faith, things of religion and spirituality have always been a very delicate topic for me. There will always be people out to get you. I don't and I never intend on hurting or offending anyone with my opinions. That's the last thing I want to do...

But for some people, faith is a matter of pride. 

Yes, it's all right to pray for Christian unity, for peace, for reconciliation, but spiting another sect because they don't believe in the same beliefs that you do? God didn't teach me how to hate. Who taught you?

Earlier this week, I was contemplating on why people would leave a beautiful faith such as the Catholic Church... then it dawned on my... People don't think it's a religion-- they think it's a cult. We're called idol and statue-worshipers and our faith is based mainly on fanaticism. How could a religion disobey their own laws by praying to lifeless statues? It made me think... Is my dear church really like what they say? 

Of course not. 

Each prayer said devoutly does not go in vain, because they are always heard. You see, at the end of the day, it's not about what the other people say... 

It's all about what you have with Him. 

There is a saying... If you haven't been there, then you don't know what it's like. I admit that before everything, I was oblivious of religion, of faith. I went to church with my family every Sunday, I prayed the rosary with my mom and sisters every evening and did what every good Catholic girl was supposed to do. And it all ended there. 

I prayed, not because I wanted to talk to Him, but because it was a routine.

...I must admit though, it was a bunch of really good Christians that made me appreciate my beautiful faith, and open my eyes that there were more believers. 

Each religion, each faith is beautiful in their own ways, and you know in your heart that you belong, as if it's calling to you all the time. 

Faith isn't a contest. Keep your argument to yourself, man. 



No comments :

Post a Comment