Thursday, May 9, 2013

Young Love


You have

All the time 

in the world 

when you’re young.

--

I really did believe that I had all the time in the world when I was young…er. Daydreaming occupied most of my days. I dreamed of the most frivolous things ever, like a rainbow-colored wedding cake, rose petals and berries in red wine, a big house with a white picket fence, a strapping young man as a husband and a pair of adorable twins. I was young, a bit dumb and naive. I had all the right in the world to be naive because I was young.

Nothing else could be sweeter than young love. The innocence, the naivete, the vulnerability— it’s all a part of it. Sweet, sweet, bittersweet young love. I’m sure that I’m not the only one who believed earnestly that I’d end up married to the boy I shared some dreams with before. It was all right. 

The naivete fueled those dreams but it will never be enough to make them come true.

It was only when I got older when I realized the innocence of those daydreams. Now I’m older and probably a bit wiser, I started to daydream about “realer” things, like a well-paying job to pay for everyday needs, a house that’s just right for a family of four and a husband who can cook without any complaint. Now that I’m older, I came to appreciate the simplicity of things and the reality, unlike when I was a younger dreamer.  

For those kids in a rush to grow up, why don’t you slow down a bit? You’re young. You’ve got all the time in the world. Don’t rush into adulthood head-on, you’ll regret it. Why not take your time and daydream about the most extravagant things ever, like a rainbow wedding cake or a prince to whisk you away. It’s all right, because you have all the time in the world when you’re young. 

--


I wrote this for my little sister last year, inspired by her high school stories. Needless to say, I want her to know all that I know right now, because I don't want her to undergo the same thing that happened to me. Well, that chick doesn't listen to anyone anyways.


No comments :

Post a Comment